Sunday, May 28, 2006

Motherhood makes you romanticize other eras

When I complain that I have to do dishes three times a day, laundry daily and wash floors at midnight (Cinderella, Cinderella) my husband likes to joke: “You don't like chores? Good thing you weren't born on Little House on the Prairie.”As romantic as I dreamt Laura Ingalls Wilder's 19th century pioneer childhood was, I figured my husband had a point. Though, I don't think Laura and company enjoyed their washboards and broomsticks any more than I enjoy my more modern conveniences. But then, I discovered an era I think I really would prefer: 19th century England. Ever since the most recent remake of Jane Austen's "Pride & Prejudice" was released on DVD (I watch it on the little DVD player we use for long car trips because the rest of my family can't tolerate period pieces) I'm convinced that era has some definite advantages for stay-at-home moms. That is, stay-at-home-moms who were members of the aristocracy. Those of them who, of course, survived childbirth and avoided dying of consumption, etc. What I really envy is that household staff the Bennett girls enjoyed. I would love to relax when the doorbell rings and know that my maid – in her adorable bonnet and apron, would tell my son's playmates that he'll join them after she finishes dressing him. And she'd say it with that distinguished English accent. The neighborhood kids would be so impressed. I would love to have a coachman who would bring my minivan around when it was time for us to head out. He'd have spent the day washing it, gassing it up and checking the tire pressure. Then he'd hold out a hand to help us alight and then take us us wherever we needed to go and wait there for us until we were ready to return. When we arrived home with our parcels, we could rush inside for dinner that was prepared on fine china while we were out. Someone else would do the dishes! Our driver would bring in our packages after he finished picking up all the all the sippy cups and Legos the kids dropped under the seats. And, of course, the nasty job of cleaning bathrooms would be virtually eliminated for everyone. They didn't have indoor plumbing in 19th century England. So ... you have to be careful what you wish for.


1 comment:

Malnurtured Snay said...

I used to have to do dishes, but I figured out a better way ...

... I moved to an apartment with a dishwashing machine.

(I claim I moved because I wanted more space. But in reality...)